Thursday, October 30, 2008
Brynn's prognosis
We got a call back from Brynn's doctor yesterday and he has pretty much ruled out ITP and Leukemia. Thank heavens!!! What she does have is Henoch-Schoenlein Purpura (HSP). In most cases it is very mild and resolves itself spontaneously within a month. But in rare cases it affects the kidneys and bowels. So all I have to do for treatment is give her anti-inflammatories. BUT. . . I have to give her urine samples to the lab. . .once a week for six months. . . . then once a month for three years! We are extremely grateful and relieved that we don't have to worry about chemotherapy or steroids and blood transfusions. The urinalysis is just a precaution to make sure she doesn't have any blood or protein build-up in her kidneys. So I will try very hard to keep a positive attitude on my weekly trips to the doctor to deliver pee. Today was our first day and she refused to pee in a cup. "My bum is way too big to fit over that cup!" She cried about it all morning (literally!!! -- she's been quite emotional the last few days) and finally she did it. So that's what I get to do till she's 7 1/2. That seems like a really long time. But for now she's healthy and we can sleep at night. Thanks for all the prayers!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Those weekly trips will no doubt get old over the next 3 years, but its a small price to pay for a healthy little girl, right?! Glad to hear the good news- thanks for the update.
Kim...I have been keeping you all in my thoughts and my prayers all week. I wanted to call you but I knew that you would be busy with Brynn. I can bring you home a hat(to catch the urine in )so Brynn won't even know it's there. You just lift up your toilet seat and place it in and set the toilet seat back down. She'll never know! I'll bring you one home from work. I'm so happy to hear it's good news.
Kim and Tanner,
We love you guys and can't imagine what this caused you guys to go through emotionally. We're sooooo glad it is nothing too serious and we will continue to pray for little Brynn!
-Matt and Whitni
We are so glad it's good (well bettter) news!
Post a Comment