Thursday, April 24, 2008

Tremors

For about the last month we have been feeling a lot of slight tremors which the seismologists are calling foreshocks.  Nothing really big; if you're moving around at all you're likely to not even notice. But in the last week we have felt just about all of them.  So I double checked our food supply, emergency backpacks, water, and got ourselves some good earthquake insurance.  To tell the truth yesterday I was complaining about it saying "Come on already! Just hit and get it over with!"  The night before I was awakened by one around midnight and couldn't sleep the rest of the night. That one was about a 3.8.  Well guess what, I changed my mind. We just experienced a 4.1.  Not so fun.  Today at 3:47 we had a 3.8 followed by a pretty constant rumbling for a few minutes. At 3:51 we got a 2.6 (no biggy) and at 3:55 we got a 4.1 followed by more constant rumbling for about 10 min.  The kids think its really fun but it creeps me out.  I can hear the earth groaning before it hits and my dog starts whining. Then you see the pictures start shaking. These last few have even made us dizzy.  The worst part is that I can't decide where the safest place is to hide my kids if one really does hit.  Its freaky knowing that the prophecies of so many prophets are starting to come to pass and that I will be here with my sweet children to witness them.  It kinda makes you rethink your priorities and focus on things you might need to work on a little more. 

3 comments:

Heidi said...

wow! I haven't been watching the news so I didn't know that was happening! good luck with those... it's a little scary.

Bethany said...

I had no clue that was going on. That's really weird and uncommon for Reno, right? Anyways, I've been really freaking out about food storage b/c I've been feeling the urge more than ever to be prepared. It's like there's something new everyday that reminds me to get more prepared. We all better wake up. Keep us posted:)

{owens} said...

Hey Kim, you know my mom's manager's mother passed away last night and the funeral is going to be that day and she has to go. Kenz will be in St. George and I would LOVE to do it, but i'm working til 10 pm. I'm so sorry. I'll see if Blake could though, would you be comfortable with him watching Hud??