For the past 4 years I have been asking my husband to rip up our backyard and do it right. (I was about 8 months pregnant when I tried leveling and prepping the backyard by myself before we did sod the first time so you can imagine how well it turned out.) Love my husband but he's not real crazy about housework or yardwork. So, knowing that he was going to be gone for an entire week on his raft trip I took it upon myself to fix it, being the strong independent Meinzer woman that I am. If you ask our husbands, I think they would all say its not a great quality to have. I, on the other hand, think its one of my better traits. So I asked Jeff to come up and help me. Good thing, Jeff's like an old reliable work horse who just does what he's asked. Thanks for being such a stud! Over the past week I (we) have gotten at least 7 truck loads of dirt and DG. I put the DG on top of our retaining wall (which was completely ridiculous because I had to shovel from the truck into the wheel barrow, then from the w/b into a bucket, throw the bucket on top of the retaining wall, climb up and dump it out. Yea, stupid huh?!) Then we rented the sod cutter, ripped up the grass in the back, made two trips to the dumps, got three yards of top soil, bought 135 pavers (which I got to load and unload 3 times by myself), two more yards of DG and a lot of blisters and sore muscles. I saved the sod for Tanner. I can't believe how well the kids were for me all week. My house went to pot and now I've got quite a bit to catch up on. But after 5 full days of yard work I can happily say that I love it! So grateful for growing up in the country with plenty of hard yard work under my belt and a strong work ethic. Now I feel like having a party so I can show off my hard work. Isn't my husband lucky?

This is what it looked like after ripping up sod
This is where all the first two truckloads of DG went

Anytime Hud found a rock he'd go throw it behind the shed
The ensemble consists of winter mittens, safety goggles, gardening shovel, and kneeling pad

I added the walkways on the edges of the lawn. The pavers were PERFECT until my children decided to try out their balance on them. The shed (that's 2 years old) still needs a door--mandatory for this winter.
8 comments:
Good job Kimber! Your hard work paid off- it does look great. I would say you definitely have to have a party now. You deserve to show it off!
Your yard looks beautiful! You're a stud. I'm really impressed that you were able to do so much. Tanner seems so manly but I guess those Meinzer genes out weigh his manliness.
It was worth all that hard work - it looks beautiful!! And you will enjoy it so much more now that it has been done right!! You go, girl!! Those strong Meinzer genes are going to help you accomplish a lot!!
wow, it looks great! i love any excuse for a party, you certainly have one. have fun:)
yeah, those genes can be brutal sometimes for us too. They lead to lots of sore muscles and sometimes injury when I try to do something I shouldn't! but good for you for doing it all yourself (with your work horse, Jeff!)
Your yard looks awesome - and you are wonder woman!! I love yard work too; something about mowing, edging, planting and getting my hands dirty makes me feel good...and I always love the end result! :)
Finished back-yards make all the difference in the world when you have little ones. I'm sure you'll enjoy it a ton and way to work, Princess!
You are a stud!!!
Post a Comment