Sunday, September 5, 2010

Drumroll Please . . .


Introducing. . .


Stetson McNeil Zufelt
September 2, 2010 (90210)
10:23 pm
9.9 lbs, 21" long, 14" head!!!

. . . and perfect





9:00 am - doctor broke my water and started me on pitocin (dilated to a 3 1/2 -4)
9 am - 1 pm - increased pitocin 2 un/hr every half hour or so
1:30 pm - finally feeling the contractions (pitocin is now at 19 un/hr. I only had to get to 11 with Hud and he was born less than 2 hrs later)
2:00 pm - baby's heart rate goes from 130-150 bpm down to 50
3:30 pm - baby's heart rate still dropping, contractions every 2 min w/o chance for baby's recovery in between, dilated to a 6-7, talk of c-section
5:30 - I've been on my left side for 2 hrs b/c that's the only position the baby stays stable, dilated only to 7-8; doctor mentions c-section again
6:00 - lost my resolve and opted for epidural
6:03 - fell in love with Scott the anesthesiologist; left my very dark place and feeling very peaceful and relaxed (not really sure anymore why I was so against an epidural)
8:30 ish - still only dilated to an 8, started back on pit, baby crashes again
9:00 - doctor trying to decide if she needs to do a c-section
9:30 - sent Tanner to get some oil for a blessing, lots of prayers being said.
9:45 - doctor is amazed that I'm now dilated to 9 1/2 (until we told her how hard we were praying and then she understood)
10:00 - start prepping for delivery, pushed for 10 min to get him into the birth canal
10:20 - pushed 4 times and there he was


It was a long, horrible day and we were very close to having a c-section or a very scary delivery at best. But it only took a heartbeat to make it all worth it.
All my boys have had similar deliveries. All unstable, all had the cord around the neck, all turned out to be just fine. I'm really good at getting pregnant, really good at making big babies. . . . apparently I need lots of help getting them out.
Can't see the scale but it says 9.92!!! I warned the doc we should have kicked him out weeks ago but she wouldn't listen

First time he got to hold him


Very gently giving him his first bath

The kids thought they'd be able to meet their new baby right after school. When it was time for bed and he still wasn't here they were pretty sad. Tanner brought them all up first thing Fri morning and they could all hardly stand it.
Hduson loves that Stetson looks just like him. He tells everyone Stetson is the cutest baby in the whole world. His favorite part is the perfectly round head and the "teeny tiny ears".

Brynn's feeling totally fine with him not being a girl. One look and she was madly in love.
He's also very curious about the rest of the baby. He like to check his "eyeballs" often to make sure they're still blue, and open his mouth to make sure his teeth haven't grown in in the last 20 min. ;-)
Stetson was this alert right at birth. Its only been a few days but he is such a good baby. He hardly ever cries and he doesn't even care when the kids smother him all day. He's getting plenty of milk now and he's even more relaxed than before. He will be fat and happy before you know it.

14 comments:

Mitzi McCoy said...

Congratulations Zufelts! We are so happy it was a healthy, safe birth!

smithsonthemove said...

He is so cute - and big!! His birth sounds a lot like Karsten's. Glad you both are ok! :)

Christina said...

Awesome Kim. He is darling and the picture are so cute. I'm so glad he can safe and sound. Sounds like you have rough deliveries like me. Why were you against epidurals again? I like the fact that they numb the pain, but I hate the fact that I cannot feel my legs! Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS my dear. He's beautiful as all your kids are.

Penny said...

Congratulations Kim and Tanner! Stetson is so handsome!! We are happy he is finally here and you are both healthy.

Meg said...

Congrats Kim! He is adorable! You and Tanner make beautiful babies! He was almost 10 lbs? Holy crap! You just scared me enough to put off having kids... my husband thanks you :)

Jennifer and Brad said...

Congratulations!!! I can't believe how big your babies are at birth. He's an adorable addition to your family. Again, Congrats.

Bethany said...

Yeah for you guys! What a cute baby:) Glad the waiting is over and that the two of you are healthy!!!

The King Family said...

Another cute Zufelt baby! He looks so sweet- really wish we could be there to meet him soon. Hopefully at Christmas... love you all!

What I Did Today said...

Congratulations you guys! You two make suce cute kids! And man!!!! Huge child! I do not envy pushing that out! And aren't those epidurals just the best?!?! Seriously, he's adorable. Glad everything is going well.

Amy said...

What a cutie! Big babies are better than small ones and so much to love right off the bat. All the kids look super comfortable with him already. Eventhough your deliveries are hard, atleast you still don't end up in c-section every time like me;). I don't wish that on anyone.Glad you guys are doing well and that he's sucha good baby.

Heidi said...

I hate to tell you this (i'm sure you already know) but he's already fat! Sooooo Cute!!

allison said...

Congrats!He is darling! Glad things are going well.

Heather said...

Congratulations....he is absolutely adorable! After my c-section with Hoyt they told me that his head was a "15" and said to be happy that I didn't have him naturally. I don't know how you got that size 14 head out...you go girl!! :) We love the name too!

Matt and Shannon said...

He is so cute! Congratulations to both of you! I went to high school with Tanner and I stalk your blog now and then, so I had to check back to see how the baby was. You guys make beautiful children!