Growing up my mom always made just about every holiday a big thing.
Valentine's Day was not the least of them.
Every year the table was set nicely for breakfast, with each place setting having their own box of See's candies. We would each give our siblings a little valentine treat and Mom always made pink heart shaped pancakes for breakfast.
I stayed up until midnight the night before as Tanner was gone all week--again -- getting the table ready, setting out their mailboxes and filling them with treats, making donuts, etc.
The kids woke up in the morning and sat at the table without saying a word.
I said "What do you think of the table?"
In unison: "Cool."
Awesome. All that work for 'cool'. That's okay, I know they'll appreciate it when they get older.
The baked donuts I found on Pinterest. Good, but when you live next to Heavenly Donuts, nothing really compares.
This is his "I'm not doing anything" look. As he's coloring all over my white tablecloth.
Tanner was gone all week, including VD--which is the 3rd year in a row--so
this little peach was my Valentine all day.
Tanner's so lucky he has such a low maintenance wife!
For dinner we had heart shaped pizza, garlic cheesy breadsticks, strawberries, and Cosmopolitan Jello Cups.
It took me an entire day to convince the kids to bring some sort of Valentine for each of their classmates. Finally around 9 pm they decided to take something. Luckily my little friend Pinterest had some good ideas that I was able to print off. I'm glad I'm not the only one who relies on that site for everything. I must have seen at least a dozen different ideas on there and the kids came home with every single one of them, given to them by other kids at school.
Sometimes I feel like I go overboard with the fun things I plan for the kids--especially when they're response is 'cool'. But the one year I didn't do something for St. Patrick's day the kids were all disappointed in me. So I know they love it. When we got married Tanner thought it was bizarre that all the women in my family had decorations for EVERY holiday. I think my sisters and I are all pretty similar that way. We like to celebrate things. Now I think Tanner just expects it. It does wipe me out sometimes though. I had to take a long nap the next day:)




3 comments:
That's very impressive - especially with Tanner gone all week! And yes, your children will remember these times and they will become very sweet memories - that's why "traditions" are so important! And moms are usually the ones that make them happen!
I agree - would it kill our kids to act at least a little excited?!? I think the traditions that go along with each holiday are so fun, even if our kids only respond with "Cool". And I am way impressed with everything you pulled off without Tanner!
Yeah, I quit doing all that stuff. Morgen asked me this year why we didn't have candy and heart shaped food for V day. I told her I'm just not that kinda mom anymore, and she can do it when she's a mom :) I figure if they don't know I love them every other day of the year, then what does one day a year matter?
Post a Comment